Re: system requirements for debian

Bob Hynes wrote:

> I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
> slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I
> could be doing to speed things up? turning off services, adding ram? I'm
> also considering tying another version of Linux, but maybe this box is
> just too slow at 500Mhz?

"have debian running" is no sufficient description to make any further useful
comment on this.
Did you install X? KDE? Gnome? Any server software? What kernel version? What
version of Debian anyway?
Define the meaning of "slower than windows" with something that others can
measure, too.

HS

        oder über pgp.net