Re: Problem with dvorak layout

I haven't had the problem you're describing.  I type Dvorak on sarge.
(Which means I'm using XFree86 4.3.0, probably with Debian patches.)
Here are the relevant bits of my X keyboard configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "dvorak"
EndSection

>From my .Xmodmap: (this shouldn't be relevant; I added this later, but
have never had the problem you're describing)
keycode 113 = Alt_L
keycode 116 = Super_L
mod3 = Super_L

The keyboard is a PC Concepts ergonomic keyboard with Window and Menu
keys (104 key + an extra tab and backspace, and
mouse-accessibility-enabling button in the center, big button in upper
right-hand corner that doesn't do anything at all)

Good luck.