Re: Restoring cyrus21-imapd

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Jim MacBaine wrote:
> Yesterday I decided to purge the old cyrus packages (cyrus-imapd and
> cyrus-common). I was surprised how fast 250.000 files on a reiser
> filesystem can be deleted: Purging the old cyrus packages removed all
> mails from /var/spool/cyrus and all db files from /var/lib/cyrus.
> 250.000 mails from several users were gone in a few seconds.

ARGH! indeed, the old cyrus-imapd packages appear to have a grave bug that
removes ALL the information without any futher questions asked on purge.

I don't know what we can do about this, though :(  Those packages are gone
and only present in oldstable.

> While I have a recent (~10 hrs old) backup of the mailspool in
> /var/spool/cyrus, I do not have a backup of /var/lib/cyrus.  Is there
> an easy way to restore the mailboxes file and the other database
> files, maybe even quote information from the data in /var/spool/cyrus?

Look at /var/backups, cyrus21 packages do daily backups of the mailboxes
database there, file /var/backups/cyrus-mboxlist.txt.gz

It only keeps TWO backups, so go there fast before the cronjob kills it.

After using ctl_mboxlist to restore the mailboxes from that backup, use
cyrreconstruct to restore as much information as you can.  Some will have
been lost, but the emails will all be there (I am not too sure about the
seen state, though.  I think that one has been lost, it was in
/var/lib/cyrus).

  Henrique Holschuh