Exim: Retry time not reached for any host

FAQ A0608 in exim4-doc-html says this is not an error but this is all I get. I have three days of test messages to my other mailbox in the queue and every transmission results in this message.

With Mozilla I can send messages in either direction between my two mailboxes with no difficulty. When trying to send test messages from Mutt to one of my mailboxes I had an authorization problem. I posted the problem to the debian-users list and received the following response from Jacob:

Try editing /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template and edit the
'remote_smtp_smarthost:' section. Change "tls_tempfail_tryclear =
false" to "tls_tempfail_tryclear = true". Immediately below that line,
insert a new line reading "hosts_require_auth = outgoing.verizon.net".
Once you're done editing the file, run
'update-exim4.conf' to generate the new config files.

After following these instructions I tried sending a test message from Mutt. It was not received and tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog ended with
Retry time not reached for any host.

I have tried exim4 -d -bt mail@tomgeorge.info and can see no problem in the output which ends with

	Exim pid=##### terminating with rc=0

Then I tried exim4 -v mail@tomgeorge.info
	This is a test
	.

and again got Retry time not reached for any host.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be the problem and how to fix it.

Tom George

PS  I have learned to delete messages in the queue with the command exim4 -Mrm <message id> and to retreive the message id's with exim4 -bp but I can't find a way delete a range of messages.  Is there such a beast?