Email login options

I have a Debian woody server that runs our email (ipopd, 2001adebian-6 & exim, 3.35-1woody3). We use MS outlook (Office XP) as an email client. I currently have SMTP use limited to the net block of our office, this causes people in remote sites to have to use EarthLink for SMTP, or in my case Bellsouth. Pop is set up to authenticate using Kerberos from a Windows domain controller. The email server and domain controller are located at different sites

What I am looking for are solutions/best practices for SMTP authentication so local and remote users can use our SMTP server, and pop authentication without depending on the Windows domain. Does anyone have any suggestions that does not require sending passwords over clear text and allows for easy to manage passwords without having to log into the mail server to change a users password.

This is what my boss is asking.
"remove dependency of domain controller to email, What are our options?  Surely there are best practices for this that don't involve having users ssh in to maintain their pw's."

Tony Heal
Pace Systems Group, Inc.
800-624-5999
theal@pace2020.com