Re: Trying to mount CF card

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 07:02 +0900, Chris Williams wrote:
> I have a 10-in-one multiple card-type reader thingy with a CF card slot.
> This is the first time I have ever used it.
>
> Inserting the card I get a /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 devices. But when I go
> to mount it, the mount fails.
>
> $ mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp
> [...]try dmesg | tail or so.
>
> $ dmesg | tail
> FAT: invalid first entry of FAT (0xfff8 != 0x1372)
> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda1.
>
> $ dosfsck -lv /dev/sda1
>
> dosfsck 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
[snip]
> ----------
> So it appears to be a proper FAT16 partition, it just won't mount. I
> don't have any other disks to check so I'm not sure if it's just an
> oddly formatted disk or no--though it comes up fine under Windows.

Try this instead:
# modprobe -v vfat  ## Just to make sure vfat is loaded!
# modprobe -v msdos
# mount -v -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them
make their experiments on politicians and journalists."
Henrik Ibsen