dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 yeilds no XF86Config-4 file?

Title: Message
I'm very confused. Where does the XF86Config-4 file live? I thought it was in /etc/X11.

I also thought that dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 was supposed to create a new XF86Config file.

I did an experiment. I deleted (saved elsewhere) the XF86Config-4 file and tried to recreate it using the dpkg-reconfigure command above. It errored out that it couldn't be found. So I created the file with only # marks and re-ran the reconfigure command. It had no effect.

WTF?