Re: Ubuntu to Debian

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 08:03, Kent West wrote:
> <snip>
> As I understand it, Brooks, Ubuntu is close enough to Debian that a
> conversion is possible. Yes, edit your sources.list and do an
> update/dist-upgrade; you may have to uninstall some stuff along the way
> and then reinstall it.

Ubuntu recompiles many Debian packages and changes the dependencies
but not the package versions or library sonames.  This means that
during an Ubuntu->Debian dist-upgrade apt may think a Debian
package is already in place when you still have the Ubuntu version.

>  Since it's a new install, and you have nothing to
> lose, just go for it. The worst that can happen is that you'll cause
> some sort of time-space implosion and destroy the universe as we know
> it. But it'll probably go a lot smoother than that.

Not a problem if you have your towel.

--Mike Bird