Where to alter vertical padding in menu bars?

After an apt-get upgrade for unstable today, the vertical padding in all
menu bars in gtk/gnome related applications seems to have increased.

That is, the menu bars, menu lists and item lists have increased in size
vertically, but the size of the font within them hasn't changed.
Frankly, I find it quite ugly, and it wastes space.

Does anyone know where to alter this? I'm assuming it's gconf2 related,
since that was one of the packages that was upgraded, and it seems to be
the source of all my look and feel problems...

Note that I'm not entirely using gnome - I use fvwm as my window
manager, plus a couple of gnome-based applications, such as galeon and
liferea...

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584