xmgrace on vncserver has font problems

I am running a vncserver on my debian linux box and view it from a
vncviewer on a windows computer. Most programs run fine, even my own
X-windows programs, but in xmgrace in the menus all font characters are
replaced with rectangular boxes.

I tried specifying a specific font for xmgrace to use via
xmgrace -fn 7x13
for example, but I cannot get xmgrace to display menu fonts.

When I use xmgrace directly on my debian box everything works fine. Has
anyone an idea of what may be going on here?

Alexander Wagner