Re: Questions about partitioning and ext3

Matthew Dawson wrote:
On January 5, 2006 05:02 am, JEMF wrote:

2nd Question:

When I format the partition with ext3, the df -k command returns:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used  Available Use%  Mounted on
/dev/sdb1               456730       8239    424908   2%    /mnt

I think 8239 KB (8.05 MB) was used by journal. But the amount of  blocks
decreased after formatted (471665 to 456730). Why?

Well, the number of blocks was probably taken by ext3 stuff, but I am not sure. As well, by default ext3 sets aside 5% (i think) to the root user, but the can be changed with tune2fs.

The 5% reserved for root does not explain the drop in blocks in the filesystem. That shows up in the difference BETWEEN the number of blocks and the sum of those Used and Available.

ex: (8239 + 424908) / 456730 = 0.94836

Could the missing blocks (471655 - 456730) be the journal file, since that is completely invisible and not accessable through the filesystem?
If so, what is using the 8239 blocks shown by df?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com