Re: sudo: unable to lookup [MYHOSTNAME] via gethostbyname() [SOLVED]

>Anyone know what this error message means?
>
>        sudo: unable to lookup viewmaster via gethostbyname()
>
>"viewmaster" is the hostname I chose for my laptop. Sudo seems to work
>normally, but the message appears whenever I use it.
[...]

It seems that etherconf puts an entry of the form HOSTNAME.DOMAIN
into /etc/hosts, and another of the form HOSTNAME into /etc/hostname.
Manually making these the same stops confusing sudo.

Whether this is a bug in etherconf or sudo, I have no idea.

John