usb cdrom on X30 thinkpad

Please, if this is a FAQ, I am really sorry, my googling cannot find
it.

My Sarge installation booted fine of the usb cdrom and I proceeded to
install and run a 2.6.8 kernel.  Beautiful, thankyou.  I've been using
it for a few weeeks.

But I am defeated trying to access the CDROM.  I do not
know how to mount it.

I've read that usb cdroms should be represented as SCSI, yet there is
no /dev/scsi devices.

dmesg | grep -i cdrom  reveals nothing

Fumbling around, modprobe usb-storage, afterwhich dmesg | grep usb reveals:

usb_storage            59328  0
usblcd                  5796  0
usbcore               104164  5 usb_storage,usblcd,uhci_hcd
ide_core              125028  5 usb_storage,ide_cd,ide_generic,piix,ide_disk
scsi_mod              115148  5 usb_storage,sr_mod,sbp2,sd_mod,libata

I do not know how to proceed.  I would like to play audio CDs and burn
some.

Thanks

Joe