Re: java for jabref

Linas Zvirblis wrote:

Please, what is the common way for java development  under debian sarge?

Is it better to develop under solaris
and simply run and test it under debian ?

netbeans and eclipse are both open source, so they should qualify for debian.

Eclipse 3.1 is already in Debian Unstable. I was pretty sure that Eclipse 2.1 was included in Stable, but it seems that it was not.

You could try using Unstable packages, but chances are they will not work on Sarge. You might also want to look at Anjuta. It is a rather simple programmers editor and requires some manual configuration to make it Java compatible (Google is your friend), but it works.

Of course you can download Eclipse from eclipse.org and it should work just fine.

Hi list,  thanx

I found  this
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/eclipse

do I need  all this , Please ?

The following binary packages are built from this source package:
libswt3.1-gtk-java
Fast and rich GUI toolkit for Java, gtk2 version
eclipse-jdt
Java Development Tools plug-ins for Eclipse
eclipse-platform
Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop any language
eclipse-ecj-gcj
Native version of the Eclipse Java compiler
eclipse-pde
Plug-in Development Environment to develop Eclipse plug-ins
eclipse-ecj
Eclipse Java compiler and Ant plug-in
eclipse-platform-gcj
Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop any language (GCJ version)
eclipse-efj
Eclipse Java code formatter
eclipse-pde-gcj
Plug-in Development Environment to develop Eclipse plug-ins (GCJ version)
libswt3.1-gtk-jni
Platform dependent files for libswt3.1-gtk-java
eclipse-rcp
Eclipse rich client platform
eclipse-rcp-gcj
Eclipse rich client platform (GCJ version)
eclipse-jdt-common
Java Development Tools plug-ins for Eclipse (common files)
eclipse-platform-common
Eclipse platform without plug-ins to develop any language (common files)
eclipse-pde-common
Plug-in Development Environment to develop Eclipse plug-ins (common files)
eclipse-rcp-common
Eclipse rich client platform (common files)
eclipse-source
Eclipse source code plug-ins
eclipse-sdk
Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE
eclipse-jdt-gcj
Java Development Tools plug-ins for Eclipse (GCJ version)
eclipse
Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE

And that woun't  mess up my existing  java from sun ?

morten@debian:~$ java  -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

morten@debian:/tmp$ which  java
/usr/bin/java

morten@debian:/tmp$ which  javac

nothing

I have already configured my browsers,
and would highly appreciate a reply how to install eclipse proper on a stable debian sarge, with sun jre.

I would  accept a solution, if I would  like to run  eclipse,
I log in as user eclipse, if I would prefer sun jre I can log in as user sun.

To prevent clashes.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

*You will need a Java runtime environment (JRE) <http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-3.1.1-200509290840//java-runtimes.html> to use Eclipse.

**Download now: Eclipse SDK 3.1.1 <http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.1.1-200509290840/eclipse-SDK-3.1.1-linux-gtk.tar.gz>*, Linux (99 MB)

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.1.1-200509290840/eclipse-SDK-3.1.1-linux-gtk.tar.gz

will this  also do with alien ?

I would prefer to take and use  debian packages  from debian maintainers.

I did  search my aptitude  for eclipse,  =>  not present.

it also seems a little bit odd to use JDK from eclipse or IBM and JRE from sun.

Will that work ?

Isn't it better to create one user Eclipse and make the echo $PATH under user eclipse simply omit the sun java ?

best regards

Morten Gulbrandsen

___________________________________________________________ Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger.yahoo.de