Re: TCP not working over ppp connection (WAS: 5th day using Linux...)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:12:21 -0800
"Tyson Varosyan" <tigran@tigran.com> wrote:

> Yea, I am going to keep with it. This is just so damn frustrating! How would
> all TCP traffic just be blocked be default?! I do not know enough about the
> OS. I just got home and I am going to try some other flavors of Linux,
> ubuntu, mandrake, whatever I can find. I tried to install Debian with the
> 2.4 kernel. The only thing that was different is that my NIC did not get
> magically put to Eth1 - it remained at Eth0. But the PPP problem was still
> there.
>
> I have been administrating Corporate Windows Networks for 10+ years now and
> I have never seen anything like this with the core OS! Weird-ass driver
> issues, PNP (plug and pray) not working, devices getting *lost* or Windows
> patches breaking device drivers - sure - seen it all. But nothing like where
> a working device can connect, send ICMP traffic, route TCP traffic but not
> use TCP for itself.... Plain weird!

as I said before, I know naught of these things here, so help a bit and maybe I can help more. What do you mean by use TCP for itself? if its routing tcp traffic, you should be done? I know, I know, wget doesn't work etc. ummm...

just for shits and giggles, what's your /etc/resolv.conf say?

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and how about cat /etc/network/ifaces?

shots in the dark.

fwiw, once you get it done, it will "just work", really....