Re: amixer no longer working when using 2.6.15

John Covici wrote:

Hi.  I am trying to use kernel 2.6.15 and whenever I try to use amixer
I get the following error:

ALSA lib simple_none.c:1216:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Front Playback
Volume',0,0,0) appears twice or more
amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument

I am using Debian SID and have the latest versions of the appropriate
alsa packages.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2.6.15 (vanilla) and latest ALSA in Sid works fine here. Maybe some options changed their name since last version?

Try this:

 alsamixer (and set everything there)
 alsactl store
 alsactl restore

Also double check that all appropriate modules are loaded. There are also latest prerelease ALSA packages in Experimental. You might want to give them a try.