Re: 5th day using Linux and cannot get Dynamic IP clients to work on PPP

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:24:56PM -0800, Tyson Varosyan wrote:
> I am answering my post for the 3rd time here :) I have been doing more
> troubleshooting. Now on hour 15 of trying to resolve this... I am attempting
> to see if somehow my ppp0 connection is filtered. I have no GUI, but I did
> discover by browsing through aptitude that I have wget installed.

This is "old style" PPP dial-up at 56k or lower, I take it - not PPPoA
[PPP over ADSL] or PPPoE [PPP over Ethernet] to a cable provider?

The Debian ppp package has a script called pppconfig. Run it and it
should produce a simple chat script to talk with your ISP - called
provider. It also produces simple ppp wrapper scripts (pon and poff)
Pon switches on the ppp connetion, poff switches it off.

Try that _first_ . Check that it gets you a connection.
Then configure it for demand dialling if that's what you want.

> This is pretty much what I get with ez-ipupdate Somehow, I suspect that my
> OS is not letting traffic through on TCP port 80 through my ppp0 connection.
> Mind you, everything works through my eth0 connection... And when connected
> through ppp0 I can ping out, ping my box from a remote host over the
> Internet and reach a web server behind my box...

Do you have a box with two interfaces here? Is the box configured to
route from one interface to the other? Masquerading and firewall rules
may come into play here as well. Static addresses inside?

Once you have the setup working fine _then_ worry about dynamic DNS
to produce you an "almost static" IP that's advertised to and reachable
by the rest of the world.

Draw me an ASCII box diagram something like the one below if it will help.

[Rest of my network]>---> eth0 >[network attached PC] <- - - ppp0 {Real world}

> Could someone please help? This has got to be some easy "Allow TCP traffic
> over ppp" command that needs to be placed in some file buried 5 layers deep.

No: too many variables here

> Come on guys, it's my 5th day and I already want to practice distance throws
> with my new Linux box.

It's tempting to rush in and try to configure everything at once. Break
the problem set down into discrete, small steps and work through them.
If you can get pon/poff to work, then work on routing traffic through
the box,then dynamic DNS.

Or have I got the scenario wrong: is this just a notebook which you want
to connect up via dial up? If that's the case and it's just that the
notebook has an ethernet jack which you wouldn't otherwise use but
set up during configuration - details please.

Read the list archives - do a Google search for e.g. PPP dial up Debian
and see what comes up.