Re: Remote administartion via email

At 12:54 PM 1/5/2006, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 11:27 -0500, celejar wrote:
> I'm looking for an application to do remote administration of my
> Debian box via email. The app should read mail (presumably
> authenticating via pgp / gpg keys) and execute commands contained
> therein. The box connects to the internet intermittently to download
> mail, but does not have a persistent connection so I can't use ssh or
> webmin. I have googled but not found anything. I suppose it would be
> straightforward to do this with Perl or even shell scripting, but I
> don't have much experience with either, and as I assume someone has
> already done this, why reinvent the wheel? In addition to my
> situation, such an application would also be useful for managing a
> system from clients such as cell phones or email capable pagers.

What is the mail agent on the receiving end?  A "client" like
Evo or KMail, or a process like fetchmail?  Or an MTA that spools
email, waiting for the connection?

If it's a client, I'd say you're stuck, since only stupid MS
products would execute commands in emails.

Couldn't you write something which reads /var/mail/$userid?

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Webmaster's Bulletin Board: http://bbs.face2interface.com/
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal