Re: Kernel source tree for installed kernel, and config file: how to get?

Fred Proctor wrote:

I still don't know how to build a kernel from source identitical to the kernel binary provided with the Debian netinstall. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

--Fred

I'm still fairly new to linux but here's what I do. I dont use initrd's now and prefer to compile essential modules into the kernel.

0. Install the Kernel-Package package via apt-get.
1. #cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.whatever
2. #sudo make menuconfig (can use make oldconfig I think)
3. goto 'Load an Alternative Configuration File`
4. type '/boot/config-2.6.previouskernel'
5. you can now make any changes to the config, or just save and exit.
6. sudo make-kpkg --append-to-version foo --initrd kernel_image (can use fakeroot instead of sudo here. see man make-kpkg)
7. cd ..
8. dpkg -i linux-image...custom.deb just created
9. reboot into new kernel.

HTH

Wackojacko