Re: [OT] IRS tax forms can finally be saved

Chris Howie wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

With the free Adobe Reader 7.0.1 and IRS' pdf forms with documentation
rights one can finally fill out the forms on Linux and save them.

Goodbye pstoedit, you were good when needed.

Adobe Reader is not free software, pstoedit is.  Chances are a lot of debian
users won't be switching to superfluous non-free software like Adobe Reader
when a free alternative exists.

My two cents.

Except that pstoedit cannot seriously be considered an alternative to acroread. Personally, I am all bout the "Free Software, Rah! Rah! Rah!" However, I also accept that some non-free components will always exist and some may even be required. When filling out PDF forms, there is no free alternative that is *comparable* to acroread. When you have to do enough of them, it's easier to just whip the form open in acroread and fill it in. Additionally, if the full version of Adobe were available for Linux, there is a chance I'd buy it, since I do fill in enough forms that are not enabled to save in the free reader, that it would be worth the convenience for me.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto