Re: help

frederick c woodruff wrote:

Well thank you for help,I used su to get past my name @ debian$,now Im
stuck at the next step,like I said before I am new at this,now I am
getting debian:/home/desktop#,I tried some commands I thought would work
they did not,can someone help please what command do I need please,like
I said I am very new at this,trying to get logged on to sarge.new
install.
Regrettably, the above paragraph doesn't make much sense.

It vaguely sounds like you had already logged in as a normal user on your previous email, and now you've su'd into root, and you've created a directory named "/home/desktop" and cd'd into it.

But it is unlikely that you've created a directory, being new at this. It is also unlikely that su'ing got you "past your name @ debian". More likely, you've mistyped "/home/desktop" for "/home/frederick/Destop", and you're not being precise in your descriptions, so that we wind up being confused about what you're trying to say.

Let me suggest this:

type "exit" until you're at a prompt that looks like this (don't worry if the details are not quite the same):

Debian GNU/Linux sarge debian tty1

debian login:

Now, log in with the word "root"; you'll then be asked a passcode ("password" is the term used during the installation, I believe)); provide the passcode you gave the system during the install.

You are now logged into a virtual terminal as root.

Run these commands:

aptitude update
aptitude install x-window-system kde

Now reboot with the command "shutdown -r now".

When the system comes back up, you should be looking at a graphical login screen, where you can log in as your normal user, and where you're likely to feel more comfortable than where you are at now.

--
Kent