Re: cdrecord as user

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:43:29AM +0100, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> Hi, I need help get cdrecord running as normal user.
>
> I have installed it as suid root but get access denied trying to run it as
> normal user. The user is in the group "cdrom"
>
> cdrom dev is: brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 11, 0 2005-02-26 07:43 /dev/scd0
>
> ls -la /usr/bin/cdrecord
> -rwsr-xr--  1 root cdrom 133 2005-01-09 17:55 /usr/bin/cdrecord

On debian, /usr/bin/cdrecord is just a wrapper script that executes the
actual binary /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap, so make sure that's suid root. [1]
However, this should only be an issue if you've set permissions
manually... running "dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord" to set suid mode should
in fact have done it properly.

(Also - just in case you've added the user to the group cdrom
immediately before - make sure you've logged in again (in the shell
from which you issue the command), for the group membership change to
take effect.)

If that doesn't help, what's the exact error message you're getting?
(simply cut-n-pasting the command together with the error message is
usually a good idea, 'cos minor infos that do seem irrelevant to you,
might actually provide an important hint to someone else...)

Cheers,
Almut

[1] though basically useless, it's still a good idea to keep the script
itself suid root, too, as some frontends are checking permissions of
the file /usr/bin/cdrecord