Re: Debian version?

Don wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 12:20 am, Adam Porter wrote:
> When I read your email     I realized I may not have been quite as clear
> as
> I should have been.  I am curious as to what version of Debian I have
> installed now.
>
> However here is the answer to your questions in case that helps.  The CD's
> listed are commented out and not used.
>
>> /etc/apt/preferences
> arthur:/home/casper# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> arthur:/home/casper# cat /etc/apt/preferences
> cat: /etc/apt/preferences: No such file or directory

Ok, from that you can see that apt is using stable, which is currently
Sarge.  Assuming you've run a dist-upgrade sometime since Sarge was
released, you're running Sarge.  If you haven't dist-upgraded since then,
you could be running Woody.

I'm not sure about /etc/debian_version.  I can't recall how, but I know I
remember setting that manually to "testing/unstable" at some point when
asked by debconf, I think.  So it may not be a reliable indicator of what
you have installed.