Re: gnome-volume-manager works *too* well!

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have an external firewire drive with several partitions on it, only
>>> one of which I need on a daily basis.  As soon as I switch it on,
>>> gnome-volume-manager mounts all (five) partitions.  Is there any way I
>>> can instruct gvm to ignore four of them?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> sdt
>>
>> Doh! I've realised why this is happening.
>>
>> Gnome menu -> Desktop -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media
>>
>> ... provides three check boxes:
>>
>>   Mount removable drives when hotplugged
>>   Mount removable media when inserted
>>   Browse removable media when inserted
>>
>> I've unchecked the last of these three and *none* of my partitions are
>> being auto-mounted anymore, which is much better.
>>
>> I'd have thought I'd have to uncheck the first of these but I suppose
>> switching the thing on is different from actually plugging it in?
>>
>> Anyhow, this is much better because Disk Mounter creates a nice little
>> panel icon for mounting or unmounting the partitions on the drive,
>> provided I write corresponding fstab entries... which I've done.
>
> Wrong again!  The _second_ time I switch the drive on, nothing is
> mounted.  The first time, my partitios are all nounted as before.  It
> has nothing to do with checking or unchecking `Browse removable
> media'.
>
> When I pin it down I'll hopefully come back with a definitive
> behaviour report.

And here is the behaviour report:

With ALL the aforementioned checkboxes UNCHECKED, gnome-volume-manager
still mounts all the partitions on my firewire drive the *first* time
I switch it on.

With ALL the aforementioned checkboxes CHECKED, gnome-volume-manager
will ONLY mount any of the partitions on my firewire drive the *first*
time I switch it on.  Subsequent switch-ons are ignored.

The following errors are reported in my kern.log on every subsequent
switch-on:

  ieee1394: sbp2: Error reconnecting to SBP-2 device - reconnect failed
  ieee1394: sbp2: Logged out of SBP-2 device
  ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device
  ieee1394: Node 0-00:1023: Max speed [S400] - Max payload [1024]

Despite these errors, I can still mount partitions manaually (using
pmount) or using the Gnome Disk Mounter panel applet without any
problems at all.

This is clearly broken behaviour, but it's not the end of the world...

sdt