Re: "DROPPED IN=eth0 ... messages on console

Edward C. Jones wrote:
I have a PC with an AMD64 chip in it. I have cable broadband which is connected via a cable modem and a network card. I have two versions of Debian unstable on my box. The first one is Kanotix (call it "K"). The second one is pure Debian unstable (call it "U"). Both are almost up to date. When I am running under U and I am at the console (no X, no KDE), I get many messages that start with "DROPPED IN=eth0". I don't get these messages when I am using K. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Hi Edward,

These seem to be messages from the firewall on your computer about
packages which were dropped from the IN queue. Your kernel log daemon on
the "U" system is probably set up such that it prints these messages on
the console (besides appending them to /var/log/kern.log).

You should be able to change this behavior by modifying the file
/etc/init.d/klogd. Find the line which reads

KLOGD=""

and change it to

KLOGD="-c 4"

Then the messages on the console should stop after you restart klogd.
("invoke-rc.d klogd restart"). This change is persistent over reboots
and (I think) even for upgrades of the klogd package. The manpage of
klogd has more details, of course.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Florian