Re: Can I install a package and restrict its use to only one other package?

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 08:54:08PM -0500, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> I was working at compiling xv-3.10a-28 with its 37 patches when I
> stumbled across a Suse source rpm "xv-3.10a-1079.src.rpm" at
> "http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/";.

If you REALLY REALLY must have xv, pay John Bradley and buy a licensed
version. If you don't need xv itself (and there are lots of better tools
out there  now) - don't build it.
You can't redistribute it, you can't modify it readily and it is fairly
outdated. Promoting the use of xv always runs the
risk that people will break the (fairly relaxed but definitely non-free)
licence conditions by redistribution or other improper use.

[I ran into this in a work situation where xv was possibly being
redistributed - don't get into this one :) ]

All this IMHO

Andy