SOLVED! was Re: PC Slowdowns and Lock-ups

Many thanks to all who responded to my initial post. I have finally
tracked the problem down to a dying hard drive. I had various bad blocks
developing which, though not enough to stop the computer altogether,
were more than enough to slow the system to a standstill on more than
one occasion!
One to chalk up to experience I guess!

Once again thanks to all who offered constructive help on this topic.

James Caldow