Re: apt and hplip

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005, blah wrote:
> PyKota is not known to apt because it isn't part of Debian.

And most DDs who thought of adding it to Debian refrained from doing it, on
the express wishes of pykota's author.  We are not *forced* to keep it out
of Debian, we could make packages and upload them at any time -- the GPL and
the law allows us to do so.  But why should we go against the people who
created and keep the software alive?

If a very large organization would like to have pykota in Debian itself,
they could talk to the pykota author, and maybe pay him a large enough fee
per year to cover all possible subscriptions he would lose with widely
available packages in Debian and Ubuntu...  THEN contact us through
debian-devel to inform us about it.  Maybe Ubuntu itself would do such
sponsorship :P

  Henrique Holschuh