Re: Question: Maximum number of directories?

Note: I am reposting this to the list where I guess you wanted to
reply to. I hope you don't mind. Please don't send copies to me
directly, I am reading the list.

Not at all. Thanks for your time.

Gerorge Reece-Howe:

"Jochen Schulz" <ml@well-adjusted.de>

I am running debian sarge, current stable and am not aware of any changes
to whatever it's default filesystem is. How would I check?

Default is ext3, I think. You can check with 'mount'. I have:

Ahh, thanks. Running ext3

You can see that / and /srv are ext3 and /var and /home are xfs. I
chose xfs for these because they contain directories with a lot of
files (the already mentioned Maildirs and a news spool). So far, I had
no problems with xfs.

I'll see how I go with ext3 for now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers.