Re: apt and hplip

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> I'm new to Debian and am currently busy trying to set up
> a print-server based on Debian, cups, hplip and pykota
> (and maybe samba).
(snip)
> - What is your experience with cups?

Works fine with just my single computer and printer at home.

Look at the printer database at
http://linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi to find out how great your
chances are to get your printers funcioning under Linux, if you
haven't yet.

Also, that same site has a recent tutorial on cups that may help.
http://linuxprinting.org/tutorial.html

(snip)
> - How comes that the latest version of hplip that I can
>   get via apt is 0.9.2 (released 18 Apr 2005) while on
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16846
>   is available version 0.9.7? See output below:
>
> pcm3080:~# dpkg -l hplip
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  hplip          0.9.2-2        HP Linux Printing and Imaging System
> (hplip)

Look at the Debian package page for hlip at
http://packages.debian.org/hplip.  It will tell you that Debian stable
has version 0.9.2, testing has 0.9.3 and unstable has 0.9.7.  So I
guess you are running stable, which is confirmed by your sources.list.
For a server this is almost always the best option.

Sorry for answering just two of your questions. ;-)

HTH,

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and
probably in themselves will not be realized. Make big plans."
---Daniel Hudson Burnham.