Re: Question: Maximum number of directories?

On 12/4/05, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Gerorge Reece-Howe:
> >
> > I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of directories a
> > single directory could hold? I assume the number of directories would
> > be the limit (if any) to the number of databases MySQL could handle.
>
> Does MySQL really use a directory in the filesystem for every DB?

[snip]

Yes, it does.  At least for MyISAM type databases, it will create a
subdirectory that contains all the files (3 for each table)

As for filesystem restrictions, they're different per filesystem --
and I can't seem to find a difinitive list on which do what.

>From my experience, ext3(2) get really slow with a lot of directory
and file entries.

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com