Re: sendmail/vacation

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, nx13441a wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:30:22 +0000
> From: nx13441a <nx13441a@net.vodafone.pt>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: sendmail/vacation
>
> nx13441a wrote:
>
> >I'm getting this:
> >
> >The original message was received at Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:15:18 GMT
> >from [x.x.x.x]
> >
> >   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> >|"/usr/bin/vacation user"
> >    (reason: 1)
> >    (expanded from: <user@domain.com>)
> >
> >   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> >vacation: .vacation.db: Permission denied
> >554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 1
> >

> >The user .vacation.db is chmod 777!
> >
> >why????
> >

> More info:
>
> The original message was received at Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:16:12 GMT
> from [xx.xx.xx.xx]

> "|/usr/lib/sm.bin/vacation.sendmail user"
>     (reason: Service unavailable)
>     (expanded from: user)

> smrsh: "vacation.sendmail" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>

> Now i'm using in .forward:
> \user, "|/usr/lib/sm.bin/vacation.sendmail user"
>
> I have a normal .vacation.msg
>
> And in my sendmail.mc is a line:
> FEATURE('smrsh')dnl
>
> In /usr/lib/sm.bin is vacation.sendmail, mailq, etc.

Read "man smrsh" to see how to use smrsh.

sendmail will strip the leading path of any executables and will look for
them only in the default smrsh directory /etc/mail/smrsh (or wherever you
define it in your sendmail.mc file with the confEBINDIR parameter).  You
have to put vacation.sendmail in that directory for sendmail to find it.

Permissions may be another issue.  I haven't tested this with Debian.  In
Red Hat distros I found that the executables had to be given permissions
of 755.  Anything less than that didn't work - very odd.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service