Re: very weird firefox behaviour

On Thursday 01 December 2005 14:27, Renee Klawitter wrote:
> Hi!
> I recently installed the firefox 1.5, (1.4.99+1.5  to be perfectly
> accurate).
> Now, when I try to start firefox via the applications menu or via
> console, logged in as a normal user, it won't start and gives me this
> nice little message instead:
>
> Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window,
> you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your
> system.
>
> But there is no other firefox process. And the curious thing is, logged
> in as root I can start firefox, and as long as the root firefox process
> is running, I am able to start a new window as a normal user!!
>
> Any suggestions ?
> Thanks in advance, Renee!

Hi Renee,

Do you have a lock file in your profile folder?  If so, you may need to
delete it.  According to
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Where_is_my_profile_folder.3F,
your profile is located at ~/.mozilla/firefox/<Profile name>/, unless you
manually changed it.  You might also find more helpful information at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use.

None of this seems to explain why you can start a new window as a normal
user once root is running Firefox, but it may be worth a shot.

Hope that helps,
Justin