strange uid attribute in OpenLDAP

Hi there
  I'm trying to use LDAP to administer the users on our
department network. So far, Kerberos works fine, and also
storing the user data into LDAP seems to work.
However, if I set in an LDIF file the uid attribute to, for instance
testuser and add the LDIF file to the LDAP tree, asubsequent
ldapsearch yields something like this:
.
.
.
.
uid::=Xgswqef
.
.
.
or something in this way. If I use gq (a GTK program) to search
the LDAP tree the uid attribute of the new user looks ok.
Has anyone of you an idea whats going on here.

thanks
  Eugen

PS: I use a Debain testing system on this machine.