Re: Two tuxes, an xp and a DNS problem

On 10/29/05, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
> I have three machines in a small network: one XP, two Linux - let's call
> them xp, tux1 and tux2. xp connects to the Internet via a dial-up modem.
> Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is enable and works fine. ICS forces
> xp's IP to be 192.168.0.1, so the hosts file of tux1 and tux2 contains a
> line to that effect. ICS also provides DHCP services, which is how tux1
> and tux2 assign their IPs.
>
> xp can ping tux 1 and tux 2 (and see other IP services)
> tux1 and tux2 can ping xp, use its IP services, and connect to the Net
> through it.
>
> But tux 1 and tux 2 can't find each other.
>
> However, tux1 and tux2 both run Samba servers and "see" each other
> without problems - via their Windows workgroup.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf on both tuxes contains:
> search mshome.net
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> How can I make tux1 and tux 2 talk to each other without resorting to
> fixed IPs?
>
> --
> Best,
> Marc
>

> --

Marc,

I believe the problem is with the XP box and believe it or not it's
doing the right thing.

Only certain ports are open by default in Windows under ICS.  The UDP
port that ping uses might not be one of them.  Open up your XP network
connection and take a look.  Go to connection properties (right click
on the interface), select the "advanced" tab.  There will be two
buttons on that form marked "Settings"  The top one is for the windows
firewall and the bottom is for ICS.  Take a look and see if the ping
UDP port is enabled.

Not sure this will do it but it's worth a shot.

Take a look at the firewall settings button too.  Mine was set to
allow internet connections from outside!  Okay, it was doing half the
right thing.

John Purser