Re: Problem with DNS resolving on Debian sarge

Yoav wrote:
Hi... I'm having a problem with my connection (PPPoE) on a fresh Debian 3.1 sarge installation.
Just after boot time everything is OK, I can access any working site including this one.
but after some time (a few hours probably) there seems to be a problem with DNS resolving - It just doesn't work, and I have to access sites by their IP (which is a real pain), and even then It works very slowly.
Till now I was using CRUX 2.1, and with the rp-pppoe package, everything worked ok - I did `pppoe-setup` or whatever that was, then `pppoe-start` and it worked without any problems.
now, in Debian there seems to be some implementation of rp-pppoe (I think... correct me if I'm wrong), but it isn't quite the same. I did the configuration with pppoeconf, and chose all the default answers, including "Yes" to whether I'm willing to automatically get primary & secondary DNS IP's.
I've noticed that when it happens, the /etc/resolv.conf file is changed.
when everything is ok, /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:

nameserver 212.150.49.10
nameserver 206.49.94.234
search

but after it happens, this is how /etc/resolv.conf looks like:

search
nameserver 10.0.0.138

so, something changes the /etc/resolv.conf file. but I don't know what is it. or why it happens.

can anyone help? I tried at linuxquestions.org but they didn't help much.
thanks in advance...
I had a similar problem, curiously only with sarge, never with woody, as woody asked the question about using dhcp.
As the sarge installer  seems to default to using dhcp, it is necessarry to alter the etc/network/interfaces file to look something like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.250
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 10.0.0.0
    broadcast 10.0.0.255
    gateway 10.0.0.1

In this case, I am fixing the ip to use a free slot (.250) (out of dhcp range) in the office network.  Through its own 'magic' debian will fetch the dns info from the router on a restart, and will then update the  /etc/resolv.conf    file.  If you need, I am nearly sure that you can add an extra line to the above list, like:
 dns   1.1.1.1
as required. (check this first !)

Now, when I set up a new server, the first thing I do after login, is to alter the interfaces file, reboot the server and then proceed with whatever....

Dale