Re: Desktop Crashes

On 10/29/05, debian@lamie.net <debian@lamie.net> wrote:
> I love my new Debian distro because the package management is great.
> However, I have been having serious problems with the desktop, both
> Gnome and KDE.
> Firefox regularly crashes during downloads or when clicking an upload
> button on a html form or when encountered with websites like ebay, which
> make heavy use of javascript.
> Also GIMP crashes as soon as I ask it to save something, which as you can
> imagine is pretty annoying.
> Never had these problems with SuSE or other distros but don't want to go
> back to them as I love the debian package management system.
> As I usually work in the console only I have zero knowledge of the
> desktops and have no clue where to start looking in order to
> troubleshoot this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> desktop many times but it has made no difference, the problem is still
> there. I have even reinstalled the entire distro but the problem still
> recurrs.
> Everyone I have spoken to who uses Debian has not experienced these
> problems and so I am wondering if the problems are related to conflicts
> with my hardware. I have installed on amilo pro laptop. Sorry I can't
> gove any more information about the problem.
>
> Any pointers in the right direction of where to start looking in order to
> troubleshoot this problem would be much appreciated.

Sound's like RAM fault.
You haven't stated your platform, but I'll assume it's x86

$ > apt-get install memtest86

%1%
If using grub as your boot loader:
Reboot your machine, at the initial boot image selection screen press
'c' to go into grub's command prompt.
grub> kernel /boot/memtest86.bin
grub> boot

%2%
Otherwise, [make-memtest86-boot-floppy] to create memtest86 floppy boot disk.

Run it to verify your RAM...

If tests show all good it might be faulty CPU or MB.

HTH

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).