kernel upgrade - agpgart error

Hi,

I've installed Sarge 3.1 using a netinst CD for the "stable" release, debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso. This installed a 2.4.27 kernel without any problems. I'm trying to to install a 2.6 kernel without success using apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686. When I try to boot off this kernel (2.6.8-2-686) I get the following error:

starting hotplug subsystem
pci
Linux agpgart interface v0.100
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M (number differs)

Can anyone recommend a next course of action? If I need to configure the kernel and compile it from source, any suggestions for configuration options to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Jeanne