Wireless access suddenly broken

My laptop has been connecting to my router for months via wireless
without problems. Last night it suddenly stopped working.

It's not a hardware or router problem because if I boot from Knoppix
everything works normally. Other computers here are also connecting to
the router without problems.

Running iwconfig shows errors: the ESSID is "tsunami", which is wrong,
and the Access Point is FF:FF:FF.... The frequency is also incorrect.

So something is misconfigured, but what? I have not changed
/etc/networking/interfaces and indeed iwconfig does not seem to be
reading this file at all because if I rename it, iwconfig still comes up
with the same message.

My present setup came from the install of Debian testing which I made
when I bought the laptop. As a last resort I suppose I could reinstall
but this seems drastic. Any suggestions for what to check now?

(Nasty thought: could this have been an attempt at intrusion?)

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian