Re: Net Installing Deb 31r on Dell Inspiron 7000

clc-steve@hotpop.com wrote:

>Made a CD using  debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso.  Computer boots from CD but
>gets stuck during install process.  This is a Dell Inspiron 7000 with a P2
>Mobile 333, 96MB Ram and a Toshiba Combo CD and Floppy.  There is 1 -  8
>gig IDE HD with one partition with Win 98 on it.  Figured I'd partition
>later. I hit enter to boot, get past screens to choose language, country
>and keyboard layout, goes thru process to detect CD, Scans CD Rom and tells
>me "problem reading data, please make sure it is in drive, if retrying does
>not work check integrity of cd rom.  retrying does not help.  Installer
>main menu shows at step - load installer components from cd.  If I drop two
>steps to check cd integrity - reports - no valid debian cd rom - without
>even spinning the cd. I have downloaded this iso twice now and made two cds
>- one from each download.  Both cds behave exactly the same way.  I
>understand that I should check the md5 but have not yet figured out how.
>Seems like maybe the problem is not really with the cd image . suggestions?

It may be a bug in the net-installer rather than a bad disc.  I've had
similar problems with various versions of the net-installer cd images.
On one computer (It may have even been an Inspiron 7000, come to think
of it) I had to install from an old Woody disc set, and upgrade.  (that
worked fine though).

Try getting the full Debian Sarge disc 1 and install from that.  Then
edit your apt-sources and install the system as you like.

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association