sorg: understanding InputDevice, dev assignments, and mice

I am very closeto having a fully working Debian/sid system (well, lots
of littlethings like sound are still out of order, but...).  Now I
want to make sure that the mouse works under all conditions:

1 - the laptop is fully detached, only the internal pointer (the
trademark ibm pointer) is necessary/working.

2 - I'm at home, the laptiop is plugged in to its dock, there's a PS/2
wheel mouse & a usb keyboard on the dock &, both the internal and
external pointers should work

3 - I'm at work, no dock, but there is an extra USB mouse, I plug that
in to do some work.

what I want to know is:

- how do I determine which device each physical mouse is/should be attached to?
- what stanzas do I need in xorg.conf to ensure that all the mice, and
ESPECIALLY the internal pointer, always work?

appreciate the help!

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price@utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

The following addresses are for you if you're an evil spambot:
zeus@derailleur.org aardvark@derailleur.org