Re: Do I need to reinstall the whole system?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:28:12PM +0200, Philippe Grenard wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> well, last time I did a dist-upgrade , the system hanged, and even the "magic
> keys" didn't answered, so I had to reboot the system.
>
> After that, there was one package that i couldn't upgrade, nor install, nor
> uninstall. (xserver-xorg to be precise)
>
> So after somme googling, I tried to edit
> /var/lib/dpkg/status
> /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
> and remove the entries of xserver-xorg
> I also removed /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.* (preinst, postinst, prerm,
> postrm, and so on)
>
> but the system still won't install the package. It always failed during the
> preinst script it seems :

You could try going back to an earlier version of xserver-xorg (you
might need to find it at snapshot.debian.net, or it might still be in
your cache); or, if the problem is the preinst script, you could try
running it with sh -x, or insert "exit 0" as the second line of the
script.

--
Thou hast seen nothing yet.
		-- Miguel de Cervantes