Re: apt-get update problems

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 05:20:03PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >>1) several errors of followig form
> >>Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
> >>public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>i used suggestions from
> >>http://lists.debian.org/deity/2005/08/msg00178.html
> >>to remedy the problem. what could cause this?
> >
> >apt tries to verify[1] the GnuPG signature of the Release files of each
> >package server it connects to. By default, apt only knows of the
> >Debian Archive Keys, which are used to sign the Release files of
> >ftp.debian.org (and thus its mirrors, too).
> >If you have external servers listed in your sources.list, their Release
> >files will be signed by some other key - which apt doesn't know.
> >
> >>2) i can see the following
> >>Get:3 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg [197B]
> >>Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release
> >>Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
> >>Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
> >>i didn't mentioned it previously, so it's possible that the error is
> >>there for quite some time. btw i use amd64/testing so it may be caused
> >>by conflict between testing and stable.
>
> You need to use the security update site for testing.  The recent
> announcement
> here included the following lines:
>
>   We also invite you to add the following lines to your
>   /etc/apt/sources.list file, and run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
>   to make the security updates available.
>
>   deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing
>   etch/security-updates main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing
>   etch/security-updates main contrib non-free
>
> It's possible that your GPG verification problem is related to your
> attempt to use packages from stable, where it's not supported.

Hi,

I think it may be even simpler. I'd suggest you run

apt-get -oDebug::Acquire::Http=true update > /dev/null
(directing standard output away so the debugging info is readable)

I can produce the same thing here with testing/updates, and the problem
is that apt begins with requesting the best-compressed file (Packages.bz2)
and then goes down (Packages.gz and finally Packages), if the former
can't be found. This seems to be the case here. My debug log reads:

_____:~# apt-get -oDebug::Acquire::Http=true update >/dev/null
[...]
GET /dists/testing/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 HTTP/1.1
Host: security.debian.org
Connection: keep-alive
If-Modified-Since: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:38:58 GMT

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found