Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Romain Francoise wrote:
> Gnus is not "a mail client", it's an Emacs package designed for reading
> (and posting) news and mail.  Emacs and Gnus are indissociable.

    Semantics.  I call "an Emacs package designed for reading (and posting)
news and mail" a mail client.  Just because it is written in the scripting
language for emacs and uses emacs internals does not alter its function.
Besides, a lot of emacs users seem to think the same thing because every time
people ask for "a mail client" said emacs users replied by suggesting their
"emacs package designed for reading (and posting) news and mail".

    So please, let's not get into semantical issues, ok?  I already stated in
my message there would be problems as it uses emacs internals but that is not
insurmountable because other clients are able to do the job without having to
be embedded into a text editor.  If gnus were truly "all that and a bag o'
chips" as they say then the concepts and way of doing things could be thrown
into a seperate package for all to enjoy.  10 years and counting by my
experience.  Something tells me if it were worth sharing it would have been
done in that time.