Re: Anyone know how to do a "timed program" with mplayer?

On 17. October 2005 at 5:03PM +0100,
Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can listen to a continuously ogg-streaming radio station with
> this command:
>
> mplayer http://engine.collegemedia.vt.edu:8000/wuvt.ogg
>
> and I've successfully recorded (using scripts and at)
> fixed-duration RealPlayer radio shows to .wav to listen to them
> later.  But I'd like to record a specific show tonight from the
> continuous live ogg stream.
>
> I suppose I could set up an at job to start recording at 18:30
> and another to "killall mplayer" at 20:00, but I think that
> might cause problems (and it's hideously inelegant).
>
> Is there a better way?

I think it's better to kill elegantly with "killall -3 mplayer".

You could also try mencoder -oac copy -endpos mm:ss, although if
I recall correctly mencoder doesn't or pure audio well (since
after all the "m" is supposed to stand for "movie.").