/dev/mouse & /dev/dsp missing !

Hi,
	I booted up my Debian unstable distro today only to find
the cursor static in center of screen and no sound.

	Upon checking, the hardware is OK, but I cannot find
/dev/mouse as specified in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and Mplayer gives
me the message

"audio setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: no such device"

	Upon checking, /dev/dsp proves to be missing.

What is happening here ? Is this part of some unstable apt-upgrade/update
transition ? Have others had the same problem ?

	I'd welcome any constructive advice.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz