Re: Re: Configuration error running su in unstable WORKAROUND

Hi,

I've run into the same problem this morning. I'm using debian testing and, right now, all packages are up to date (kernel 2.6.12).

Though i'm not 100% sure, I also think that the problem is related with the login package, since it is one of the few packages I updated this morning.

Searching the net I've found (http://cvs.pld.org.pl/shadow/ChangeLog?rev=1.16) that some of these login.defs' parameters seems to be enabled or not at compile time depending on some pam related stuff. "#ifndef USE_PAM".

More over, the file "login.defs.dpkg-dist" (I'm not really sure what is that *.dpkg-dist file, but it was modified a few weeks ago, so it's older than the actual login.defs file) says:
################# OBSOLETED BY PAM ##############
#                                               #
# These options are now handled by PAM. Please  #
# edit the appropriate file in /etc/pam.d/ to   #
# enable the equivelants of them.
#
###############

#MOTD_FILE
#DIALUPS_CHECK_ENAB
#LASTLOG_ENAB
#MAIL_CHECK_ENAB
#OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB
#PORTTIME_CHECKS_ENAB
#SU_WHEEL_ONLY
#CRACKLIB_DICTPATH
#PASS_CHANGE_TRIES
#PASS_ALWAYS_WARN
#ENVIRON_FILE
#NOLOGINS_FILE
#ISSUE_FILE
#PASS_MIN_LEN
#PASS_MAX_LEN
#ULIMIT

It says that NOLOGINS_FILE is handled by pam. That configuration file also doesn't make use of any of the problematic configuration options. So, could it be possible that the login package has installed a wrong configuration file, an out of date one?

I will check at my home's computer (still not updated) how the login.defs file looks like.

best regards.

Moisés Garín

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Mois=C3=A9s Gar=C3=ADn Escriv=C3=A1
n;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Gar=C3=ADn Escriv=C3=A1;Mois=C3=A9s
org;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Universitat Polit=C3=A8cnica de Catalunya (UPC);Departament d'Enginyeria Electr=C3=B2nica (DEE)
adr:C/ Jordi Girona 1-3;;Campus Nord Edifici C4;Barcelona;Barcelona;08034;Spain
email;internet:mgarin@eel.upc.edu
title:PhD student
tel;work:(+34)934016840
x-mozilla-html:FALSE