Re: best hardware spec for fileserver

Hello all.

On 10/10/05 13:04, Mariusz Kruk wrote:

> Jeffrey Alsip napisał(a):
>
>> I hope you are referring to a hardware RAID (firmware running inside a
>> seperate RAID controller) and not some form of software RAID, as those
>> things are crap.

> Can you back this oppinion up in any way? Especialy by some test results?

Instead of test results, I can mention a couple of reliability and
robustness issues:

1. A properly configured :-) software RAID uses different controllers
for mirrored disks. So, system has a good chance to survive after a
controller failure. BTW, a classic RAID HOWTO even recommends to use
disks from different manufactures for mirroring to decrease the
probability of simultaneous crash because of same reason.

2. With software RAID (1 or 5 - no matter), I am 100% sure that I can
move harddisks to any more or less compatible box with the necessary
numbers of disk channels, and it will just work. With hardware RAID...
it depends.

Alexey