Re: about find

Michael Marsh napisał(a):
I'd use

$ find / -name '*' -exec grep -l "welcome here" {} \;

Aaaargh. One of the ugliest monsters I've ever seen ;-P

The nice thing about using find is that you can limit the depth of the
search, restrict it to directories on the current filesystem, specify
a more restrictive filename pattern, or perform other tests.  It's
also good to know how to use with the "-exec" flag because it can
essentially make any command recursive.

Basicaly right, but you should limit the exec feature as much as you can. With your find, you're spawning a new process for every file you find. Horrible solution. If we want to use the flexibility of find to limit the search, so we can't just use "grep -r 'whatever' *", we can use print (print0 is even better) and xargs.
So we would end with something like this
find / -name '*.php' -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l 'whatever'