The mess on Sid -- dist upgrade controlling KDE removals?

What I would like to do is:
1. Temporarily pin a few packages that simply are not getting fixed such as
iptables and mime support.
2. Run a dist-upgrade BUT decide what gets removed and what gets kept--the
renamed packages would obviously go. Stuff like kplayer, etc., would stay.

The fact is that most KDE stuff that dist-upgrade wants to trash works just
fine with the new libraries. I know because I am running off these using a
local konstruct installation (I had to do this because kmail stopped working
with 3.3!). This mixed up mess works just fine except that "styles" are not
saved--probably and path and permission problem do to the mixed installation
I am running. I would like to get up and going with Sid's KDE 3.4.2 but do
not want remove 50+ packages to do so!

(Or should I just keep waiting--it has been months since I saw one of these
digests!)